Mytime

Sunday, February 12, 2006

Honky Tonkn' in Nashville

This weekend was a true family affair in Nashville, TN. My cousin eloped in Dec and he and his new bride threw a party to celebrate their lovely union. So, the fam came from NY/NJ, Bmore (me) and Cali to join in on the festivities.

I actually have a really small family so it's nice when we get together. As you may have read from some of my previous posts my relationship with the rents and fam in general has been a little rocky. Well, the weekend was really great. We all had a lot of fun.

I have to say Nashville is an interesting city, LOTS of live music. On Friday night, after the family dinner the bride, groom, my rents, aunt and the bride and groom hit the bars. I was so tired, but REFUSED to turn in before my parents. My dad, not so secretively, wants to be a cowboy so he was in heaven.

I felt like I was testing a lot this weekend. On Friday night dinner was sort of buffet style at an Italian pizza joint. I was good just ate one slice, I need something in my tummy for when the captain and diets hit. Close to end of the night my blood sugar dropped to 67, shoot... so I eat another piece of pizza. I think, that'll do it AND I'll be up late so I can try and catch the high that usually happens after eating pizza. An hour or so passes and we have reconvened in the hotel lobby to hit the bars and in the cab tested again and the blood sugar was still in the 60s. So I go to the bar order a beer and a glass of OJ. I'm such a tool, I'm at this live music bar drinking OJ. To make along story short I wake up at 6ish with a blood sugar of 380, holy crap. Well, I take insulin (and go to the bathroom) and when I wake up for breakfast the blood sugar is all good.

I just kept testing all day, I'm usually pretty compulsive about the testing, but I just felt like I was really testing a lot. Sat. night I wore a dress to the wedding and as most of the ladies can relate to finding a place for the pump is so difficult sometimes. My solution, under my arm in my bra. Thinking I'm a genius didn't realize what a pain in the ass it was going to be everytime I need to take insulin for the rest of the night. I almost cried in the bathroom at my cousin's party, it was very difficult to maneuvar in order to get the pump back to where it needed to go to be hidden away. Not the end of the world, but it sucked.

The wedding was fun, I danced, drank and hung with the family.

Most of the fam came from NY/NJ and lucky them, ALL FLIGHTS CANCELLED!!!! sniff sniff I was the only one (except for my cuz going back to Cali) who had to leave. I was hoping, praying, finger crossing (yes, i made up that phrase) that my flight would be cancelled. Damn you snow, I mean you could've dropped a few feet on Bmore to help me out :) I guess I have to go to work tomorrow.

1 Comments:

  • Sounds like you had a wonderful time :) I'm so glad to hear it.:)
    Run into any cute cowboys?

    I think you are very smart to be on top of your testing like you are. I truly believe it's key to controlling this disease. I know, I can be a little OCD about it myself. But I prefer to know where I stand, then to try and guess. I am too often way off when I take a guess.

    As for the pump issues, I know, there's got to be a better way to conceal it when dressing up. I never feel quite comfortable with sticking it in my bra- always feel like it's poking out, lol. It seems like you managed despite that little wardrobe issue.

    You lucky girl, you got to come back to this lovely white stuff. Did you enjoy digging out as much as I did (not?!

    By Blogger Andrea, at 10:51 AM, February 13, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


The Diabetes OC Webring

Home/List | << Previous | Next >> | Join | Random |