Mytime

Sunday, July 17, 2005

My first entry

So, I'm sort of new at the whole blogging thing. I started looking around at some of the blogs a few weeks ago and felt like this would be a good place to share some of my feelings and experiences.

There is definitely a lot to me, but the thing that I most want to talk about here is having Juvenile diabetes. I've been a type 1 diabetic for 12 years, wow I didn't realize it was that long. I'm 26 now and obviously an adult and have felt like I've hit a brick wall. It's been great to read some of the blogs and know that I'm not alone in this world.

It's sort of funny to me. I went through years and years of saying that having diabetes didn't effect me. I was pretty adamant about the statement. Well it turns out that having diabetes does have an effect, actually it's pretty big. Being a single, 26 year old, professional, active person does not help keeping the diabetes under wrap. I'm pretty quiet about having diabetes when it comes to people I don't know. My friends (or most of them) know about it, but I really try and not make it a big deal or focal point in my life. That seems to be a little different than a lot of other posts I've read. I'm working on it, but I feel embarrassed/ashamed at having the disease.

Everytime I read something regarding diabetes it is focused on Type II diabetics. At this point in my life, I'm having a hard time with that. I feel that these are two different types of diseases and Type I diabetics do not have their fair share of information and support out in this world. I've known three type I diabetics in my lifetime. One was a girl in highschool, she got the disease after me. Really the only time we talked about it was when we saw each other on school break and we sort of gave each other the once over and made sure things were going okay. A few years ago I met a woman at the bar I worked at and every so often when I'd see her, we'd talk about it, but it was different. Although I appreciate her talking to me about some things we were in completely different stages of our life. Finally I met my ex-boss' wife who has some of the same issues as me (you know where do you put that damn pump when you are out at a party wearing a dress issues). Other than that I've sort of been left on my own to figure some of this out, more so I haven't been able to talk to people who really get it.

It has been really great reading some of the blogs out there. The honesty in these blogs feel close to home.

8 Comments:

  • Hi Mytime

    Welcome to the type 1 blogs! I see you've found some sites already.

    Thanks for the note on my blog. In response (about the 'when to tell others' issue), I think for me it's about the safety issue. While I haven't had any terrible lows that I couldn't handle on my own yet (I've had this for just over a year), I do worry about it. I am occasionally embarrassed/uncomfortable telling people, but in the end everyone is fine with it. And if they aren't for some reason, then they are the ones with issues! ;)

    Again, welcome!
    -Tekakwitha

    By Blogger Tekakwitha, at 11:58 AM, July 18, 2005  

  • Thanks for the comment. You are officially the first person to come to my blog. I, unfortunately, have experienced numerous lows where I couldn't handle it on my own, but I still can't bring myself to be that open about it. I'm now extra cautious (esp. after a really bad experience two weeks in a row a few weeks ago) and will avoid having a bad low in a place I'm not familiar with at all cost. I think I need to let go, I'm causing myself too much stress.

    By Blogger Rachel Segall, at 2:00 PM, July 18, 2005  

  • Hi there,

    Tek beat me to it, so I'll be content with being the Second Person to visit your blog.

    As far as you saying that you try not to make it a big deal, I understand that. I write about diabetes all the time on my blog, but in Real Life (outside of this whole online business), I don't mention it much. The goal for me, I guess, is to have it so well integrated into my life and into the lives of those who care about me that the seams are barely noticable. I work best when everyone knows, but it's just There. Not a big deal most of the time, but if I were to ever need help, people would know what to do.

    I'm linking you from my blog. Welcome to The Community. ;)

    Kerri.

    By Blogger Kerri., at 2:25 PM, July 18, 2005  

  • Hey there Mytime,

    Just saw mention of your site over at Kerri's blog... And to echo Tekakwitha and Kerri-- Welcome to the Type 1 blogging community!

    I agree with you that Type 1 diabetes is often given short shrift. Many times I've read something about diabetes where the distinction between the two types was not made. And the vast majority of the time the article in question turned out to be about Type 2. Irks me to no end because these kinds of pieces tend to perpetuate myths about Type 1 (i.e., "Did your son eat a lot of sweets? Is that why he got diabetes?" Grrrrr).

    Anyhow, you're joining some amazing people in this community. I can't tell you how much I've already learned from them, and how invaluable their support has been as we approach my son's one-year anniversary with this disease.

    I am linking to your blog this morning.

    Take care,
    Sandra

    By Blogger Sandra Miller, at 10:27 AM, July 19, 2005  

  • Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

    I have a pre diabetes site/blog. It pretty much covers ##KEYWORD## related stuff.

    Come and check it out if you get time :-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:17 PM, November 16, 2005  

  • Hello, my name is mytime79,
    I have SEARCHING out FOR THE LATEST INFORMATION aboutlung cancer and found your site.
    I was looking out for lung cancer related information. Anyway, I am glad I have stopped by even though this isn’t a perfect match.
    Sorry, I have see that your My first entry wasn't exactly, what I was looking for, but, certainly got my attention and interest.
    It does will be a pleasure, if you contact me. Perhaps we have some same ideas. Wish you success with your site.

    Fritz

    By Blogger NewsBlogger, at 3:28 PM, January 20, 2006  

  • I have, like 3 minutes, to type this, but I just wanted to say thanks for the good blog. I like to search for different things on the net. My boredom led me to search for diabetes discount supply the other day, and it led me to to total obscurity. Never know about he SE's.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:00 AM, January 24, 2006  

  • Hi, I am mytime79, and like to contact you!

    By my SEARCHING out FOR THE LATEST INFORMATION about diabetes symptom I have found your site.
    Of course, I was looking out for diabetes symptom related information and I have found your My first entry. Sorry, I have seen that isn't a perfect match. But, anyway, I am glad I have stopped by even though this isn’t a perfect match. What you have in your content is very interesting for most people.
    I like to set up a link to you. What you think about?
    It does will be a pleasure, if you contact me. Perhaps we have some same ideas. Wish you success with your site.

    Fritz

    By Blogger NewsBlogger, at 4:52 AM, January 25, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


The Diabetes OC Webring

Home/List | << Previous | Next >> | Join | Random |