Mytime

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

20 minutes of freedom

I've been on the pump for five or six years and have never felt the freedom that I just experienced. My resevoir was already low and so was my blood sugar. As I lay in my bed eating to raise my low I figured I could take off the pump and actually take out the set from my stomach.

FREEDOM. I felt weight lifted off of me. Thinking back this may be one of the only times that I was completely detached from the pump. Usually I change my set in the morning and I have the old infusion set hanging there until the new one is securely in my body. Tonight I was completely free, nothing was attached to me. It's the small things in life... I guess even if it was for twenty minutes it still felt great.

4 Comments:

  • Hey there Mytime,

    Just read your post (I've been out of town for 2 weeks), and thought you might want to consider the "untethered regimen." This is where you combine a daily shot of Lantus with the pump. We tried this for the first time with Joseph while on vacation, and it worked pretty well. We'd give him a shot in the morning, then he'd stay disconnected most of the day (swimming in a lake, etc..)-- reconnecting for food boluses and then for the overnight (with a reduced basal rate).

    Check out this link for more info on it: http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com
    /clinic/untethered.htm

    While the pump truly is a wonderful tool-- one that none of us wants to give up-- it is, at the same time, a blatant reminder that every where you go you carry a burden far greater than the pump alone.

    Take care,
    Sandra

    By Blogger Sandra Miller, at 9:52 AM, August 23, 2005  

  • Hey Rachel!
    I am all about my pump, but there are times when I just don't want to be attached to something...I have been on a pump for five years, and take about 3 weeks a year off from my pump, using Lantus and Humalog...and when I go back on my pump, I feel refreshed...That freedom from the pump is sweet, even if it is only 20 minutes!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:32 PM, December 01, 2005  

  • That is a great feeling I know often if my resevoir is low and it is almost time for bed the whole thought of changing my site just make me grown I just want to pull it out and sleep alone but I then consider the alternative and this forces me to get up and fill or change but that 20 mins of freedom is great I so can identify

    By Blogger J, at 10:47 PM, January 07, 2006  

  • That's cool. Now that you have discovered this freedom feeling, I'll bet you'll look for additional brief respites in the future?

    Having recently been without my pump for 3 days due to a weekend malfunction, I wouldn't want to be without it for long either!

    Cheers,
    J.B.

    By Blogger Johnboy, at 10:51 AM, October 15, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home


The Diabetes OC Webring

Home/List | << Previous | Next >> | Join | Random |