Mytime

Sunday, November 12, 2006

I'm back and have a question

Again, I've been MIA. I'm back and I actually have a quesiton. Well, I just learned something:

Insulin makes you hungry

You know when you are having a big meal and need to take a lot of insulin to cover the meal, then after eating don't feel full and actually feel the need to eat more. Has anyone experienced this? I never knew that big boluses could actually cause you to be hungry even when you should be full. Also, my doc just told me that diabetics can't feel saiety (is that the right word??), I guess what I mean is full.

Has anyone experienced this? Heard this before? It was news to me and I've been diabetic for 14 years. Crazy.

4 Comments:

  • Well, that would make a lot of sense! It seems I am always hungry!

    Welcome Back BTW!

    By Blogger George, at 7:44 PM, November 18, 2006  

  • Hey you! SO good to see you back- you were missed :(

    Anyway, I think I get what you are saying. Yes, I think if you take more insulin than you need to, it can make you feel hungry. I think that's b/c your blood sugar is dropping and as it drops it causes hunger feelings to arise.

    I know that Diabetics are said to be deficient in a hormone called Amylin (sp.)... it does control hunger and also feeling satiated (full) after eating. I think that's why Symlin is now being used, b/c it supplements this hormone. Not to mention, it help with post meal spikes.

    Anyway, I am so glad to see you back & I hope we'll be seeing more of you around ;)

    By Blogger Andrea, at 6:18 PM, November 19, 2006  

  • Wait, I thought that was just with Chinese...

    By Blogger Johnboy, at 11:58 AM, November 20, 2006  

  • Welcome back!!

    I agree with you 100%!!! There are TONS of these physiological things that play games with our brain/body connection!

    It's no easy task to stop eating or resist eating when your body is telling you to go ahead.

    Johnboy - that was funny!!

    By Blogger Scott K. Johnson, at 4:33 PM, November 20, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


The Diabetes OC Webring

Home/List | << Previous | Next >> | Join | Random |